Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sea Princess sails the South Pacific (Part 1: Vanuatu and New Caledonia)

Since I had such a great experience in Australia last year I wanted to spend this Christmas/New Year on a ship based in Australia visiting New Zealand and the islands of the South Pacific again. Luckily the opportunity arose for me to be on the Sea Princess in December/January which meant another Canadian winter spent in the land down under.

I left Vancouver 3 days before I was scheduled to board the ship in Brisbane. I (along with all the fellow crew members joining the ship) stayed at a hotel located right in the heart of South Bank the night before embarking the ship.

Streets Beach (a man-made beach) in South Bank
It was a week away from Christmas when I arrived in Brisbane and the city had lots of events leading up to the big day. I checked out South Bank's Christmas Markets in the afternoon then found a spot to sit down and use the free WiFi available in South Bank Parklands.

One of the many fun Christmas events in Brisbane
At night I watched the Christmas Fireworks Spectacular over the Brisbane river from the Clem Jones Promenade in South Bank. The show was coordinated to Christmas music and I enjoyed my unobstructed view of fireworks lighting up the night sky. All in all it was a great day in Brisbane.


The first of three cruises on my Sea Princess contract was to Vanuatu and New Caledonia.

Port Vila:
This was the first port in our cruise and also my first time in Vanuatu. I was super excited as a Survivor fan knowing one season of Survivor was filmed here.

As you exit the ship and walk to your left (only those on a ship offered shore excursion were allowed to walk to the right) you will walk by many locals asking if you need a taxi into town. There is a long stretch of road where stalls selling souvenirs line both sides of the road.

Tip: It isn't possible to walk into town and there isn't anything to do around the port besides browsing the stalls selling souvenirs. If you want to get into town you will need to take the bus or a taxi (indicated by a red B or T on the license plate). The largest (and best according to many people) place to shop for duty free items is a store called Fung Kuei in town.

I did my research on Port Vila beforehand so I knew the best way for me to experience this port was to sign up for a tour. I went on the Rainforest Walk and Cascade Falls tour. I had always wanted to walk/swim under a giant waterfall and this was my chance.

Cascade Falls
Highlights from the tour: 
- Watching a group of 5 local men singing an acapella version of Silent Night about mid-way up the trail to the waterfall
- Taking a dip in the water under the waterfalls to cool off
- The refreshments (thinly sliced coconut pieces, banana chips, tapioca chips, kasava chips, watermelon, lemonade) provided at the end of the tour were very good


Mystery Island:
This was a tendered port. Mystery Island is a small, uninhabited island with no electricity or roads.  The middle of the island has huts with booths selling tours and souvenirs. There are also rustic toilets scattered around the island.
There is sandy beach space (albeit a bit rocky) for sunbathing as well as good areas for snorkeling or swimming.

A cloudy day in Mystery Island
I was able to walk around the whole island in about an hour (this included stopping along the way to take photos). While walking on the rocks in the water I slipped and fell into the ocean with all my clothes on. On the bright side I saw a tropical green coloured fish while in the water!


Champagne Bay:
This was a tendered port. As you get off the tender you are greeted by children singing which just puts everyone in a good mood. You will also see locals offering tours or photo opportunities with animals. There are booths scattered around the island selling souvenirs and refreshment/food.

The tender docks right on the beach. The scenery of the lush green trees surrounding the soft, sandy beach with crystal clear turquoise waters makes this the perfect port to have a beach day.

A picture just doesn't do Champagne Bay justice!
I am always on the lookout for a postcard-perfect beach and Champagne Bay is the closest thing I have experienced to that!


Noumea:
I was in Noumea last year so I knew there wasn't much to do within walking distance of the port. Since I was scheduled to work afternoon port day I decided to sign up for the Yellow Petit Tchou Tchou Train excursion to make the most of my morning in Noumea.

The train that drove us around Noumea
We went on a scenic drive by a marina called Orphanage Bay and a beach called Lemon Bay before stopping at a resort to have refreshments/snacks. The train went up to Iron Mountain which provided great photo opportunities of Noumea from a high elevation. Our last stop was at Notre Dame du Pacifique which has a statue of the Lady of the Pacific as well as a great lookout spot to the ship docked at the port.


Read Part 2 (New Zealand) of my Sea Princess adventures here
Read Part 3 (Vanuatu and New Caledonia - again) of my Sea Princess adventures here