Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sea Princess sails the South Pacific (Part 3: Vanuatu and New Caledonia - again)

The third and final cruise of my Sea Princess contract was to Vanuatu and New Caledonia again. I enjoyed my time in Vanuatu and New Caledonia more the second time around because of the better weather and the awesome excursions I went on.

Read Part 1 (Vanuatu and New Caledonia) of my Sea Princess adventures here
Read Part 2 (New Zealand) of my Sea Princess adventures here


Champagne Bay:
This is my favourite port ever for having a beach day. The water is crystal clear, a beautiful light turquoise colour and warm. The sand under your feet when you are in the water is soft and free of rocks/seaweed/debris. When you are in the water and look out at the horizon all you see is turquoise waters and green hills - I loved it!

This picture can't capture the beauty of Champagne Bay
View while sunbathing


Port Vila:

I have mentioned my love for boats operating at high speeds in open waters before and the Jet Boat Adventure satiated my adrenaline cravings. Goggles were provided because the water in the harbour around Port Vila is extremely salty and it would be painful if it ever got in your eyes. I got completely soaked on the jet boat and the salt remnants in my hair were proof of the super salty water. Life jackets were mandatory in case anyone fell into the water while the jet boat was doing any of it's special tricks. We were treated to the jet boat making some fast turns, complete circles and bouncing on the water. Not only was the tour an adrenaline rush it also provided a nice way to see the island from the water.

Since the excursion was only 30 minutes long I still had a full day to explore Port Vila. I spent some time around the port looking at the souvenirs stalls lining the road and bought a wooden souvenir. When I got back on the ship I went on the crew deck to soak up the sunshine since I didn't want to waste a beautiful, sunny day.


Lifou: 
This is a tendered port and there is a beach right where the tender drops you off. I had a great time looking for "immunity idols" at the beach last year but this time I wanted to experience something different.

I went on the Luecila Beach & Scenic Island Drive excursion. We boarded our motor-coach and drove past roads lined with the beautiful greenery of trees, immaculately-built huts and homes.

Huts like this one were everywhere on our drive
Luecila Beach was our own little slice of a private getaway. It was quiet with the only people on the beach being a handful of locals and the 19 passengers who were on the excursion.

The most deserted beach I have been to - Luecila Beach
After the tour ended I spent some time at the beach where the tender docks. It was definitely a lot more crowded than Luecila Beach but still offered nice views! One big difference between the two beaches, besides how many people were on it, is the sand is softer and coral-free at Luecila Beach.


Noumea:
Noumea was never one of favourite ports but the Amedee Island Marine Reserve excursion changed my mind about this port. I would go back to Noumea again just so I can visit Amedee Island!

This was a full-day (8 hour) tour but it was so perfectly planned out with activities and free-time that we never got bored or felt rushed during our time on Amedee Island. A bus shuttle took us from the ship to Port Moselle. Then we boarded a catamaran for the 45 minute trip to Amedee Island. No one lives on the island but people will take day trips to it from Noumea.

Beautiful soft white sand at Amedee Island
Upon arriving at Amedee Island we had some free time to walk all around the island and explore the lighthouse. Then we went on a 20 minute glass bottom boat tour. We saw a variety of tropical fishes (including a parrot fish) as well as a giant sea turtle.

The lighthouse
We had some more free time on the beach before our barrier reef boat tour began. The loungers and umbrellas are provided free of charge for those on the excursion.

My lounging spot
We boarded the catamaran for our 45 minute barrier reef boat tour where we went to the largest lagoon in the world. The waters were crystal clear and a light turquoise colour. I kept marveling and saying out loud how beautiful the water was because I couldn't believe my eyes! I also fed french baguette to the fishes in the water.

So many fishes in that crystal clear water
Then it was back to the beach for a delicious buffet lunch. The variety and quality of food was impressive. It was a feast of salads, seafood, fried rice, potato gratin, spinach, roast beef, tuna steak, fruits, desserts and more. We were also treated to a Polynesian folkloric show with music and dancing while eating our lunch.

After eating a big meal I was ready for a nap! I spent some time on a beach lounger resting in the shade under an umbrella. When it got too hot I went into the water. Once again the water was so crystal clear you could see right to the ocean floor. There were lots of fishes swimming around me and I even stepped on a sea snake by accident. Apparently sea snakes are very common at Amedee Island. Luckily they are afraid of humans but they are still poisonous.

The crystal clear water is great for swimming or snorkeling
To finish off the day we watched a coconut grating demonstration and sampled the coconut pieces. It was a great day and I would highly recommend doing this tour if you ever go to Noumea! I know I would do it again if I got the chance.


A beach day in Champagne Bay followed by three wonderful excursions in Port Vila, Lifou and Noumea was the perfect ending to my South Pacific adventures on my Sea Princess contract. I am a happy girl!